Rough translation available... better than nothing

10/21/2013

Opportunity for resurrection in the midst of dry bones

I was curious as to the discussion that would occur at the Strange Fire conference a couple days ago, and so I visited the live simulcast for a few brief moments. I'm sure you've heard all the arguments and accusations from both sides, so I won't be going there in what I share here - I'd rather focus on the words I heard that encouraged me greatly, increasing my excitement about knowing Christ and the plentiful opportunities He gives to make Him known. I heard some really outstanding personal advice from John MacArthur that I highly recommend to folks from both sides of the signs and wonders aisle.

While speaking to conference attendees who hold the cessationist view (spiritual gifts and miracles have ceased), he and a few panel members were sharing advice on how to confront friends or family who hold a continuationist view (spiritual gifts and miracles are for today). His addition to the mix was "I think you need to say to people, 'Show me from the Word of God why you believe that. Let’s talk about that.' If you pounce on them with all your Bible verses, you put them on the defensive. But if you ask them to explain why they believe from the Word of God, you can get to the Scriptures... Encourage them to show you why they believe what they believe from Scripture."

I couldn't have said it better myself, in fact, as I thought about the potential of being offered that wonderful opportunity by someone who holds a cessationist view, I got a little bit giddy inside. The comparison may be a bit offensive to some, but I have to be honest - I was almost as excited as the day we were having our final Berlin 2011 team meeting and I spotted a pair of Mormons approaching our front driveway to knock on our door. Ask any of the team members, I was like a little kid on Christmas morning (I wish someone had taken a picture of my face). As we finished our conversation with our newly befriended LDS "elders" that day, my wife received a word of knowledge that brought a scriptural and prophetic burning to their bosoms. But that is another story...

Anyway, if you hold to a cessationist view and you really want to know why I believe what I do, I would absolutely love for you to take the advice of Johnny Mac and come to my table. I'll even buy you dinner to get that opportunity.

Granted, I may not convince you, but then, that's not really my job anyway. That may be another story as well.

No comments: