I love Sugar Ray Leonard, but I felt a bit sad for Roberto Duran as I watched a bit of his story from 33 years ago replayed on ESPN tonight. There is still much debate as to why he simply gave up in the middle of one of the highest profile boxing rematches in modern history. Regardless, I think his choice to give up is a lesson for all of us, irrespective of what the real reasons or circumstances were at that moment of his surrender.
It's scary to think what might become of our legacy if we choose to let the enemy win. Nobody ever said it would be easy to change our mind (repent), nobody ever said it would be easy to walk by faith and not by sight, nobody ever said it would be easy to carry this cross - but to those who have received the Spirit of the Lord, deep down we know that the alternative makes these difficulties look like a cake walk.
Life is going to be difficult no matter what we do, shouldn't we press in to receive all of that which Christ has paid such a painful price for us to have? Or will we simply throw up our hands and utter "no mas", taking whatever punches the enemy throws without even a block? I cannot speak for you, but I intend to press in to lay hold... I also intend to encourage you to do the same.
Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. Phil 3:12-15
No comments:
Post a Comment