Rough translation available... better than nothing

5/06/2008

God of Mercy

I figured if I titled this "God of wrath," then nobody would read it. Sorry if you felt a bit misled, but it's actually the same God. :)

As I was reading through an article the other day, I came across a very well written and brief four point outline that helped me to get a better grasp on the wrath of God. It simply outlines the differences between the present and the future wrath of God. I have included it below... you may find that it helps you as well.

I have heard it said by well-meaning and respected men that God is not mad at anyone, and that if He was going to "get you," He'd have already done so long ago. It follows suit with the belief that God's wrath was completely poured out on the cross and no longer exists toward mankind. Another belief is that God's wrath has been relegated to the past and to the future, and that we are living in an age of mercy and grace. I hold to neither of these, mainly because I don't believe the bible supports either of them.

If there is no wrath, then there is no need for mercy. Think about it. I cannot speak for you, but the God that I serve is both rich in mercy and fierce in His anger, wrath, and indignation. If it were not so, there would be no reason for a man to repent. If God has no wrath towards man, what reason is there for men to repent?

Let's be honest, it is relatively easy to worship at God's mercy. After all, it is the goodness of God that leads men to repentance. Interestingly enough, repentance is a step in the reconciliation process with God, the very same God whose wrath abides upon you until that reconciliation takes place. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and, clearly, repentance is wisdom. One cannot and will not fully recognize the goodness of God until the severity of God is understood. Somebody please tell Joel Osteen... (sorry I couldn't resist.)

Can you worship at the feet of a God of wrath? I submit to you that if you cannot, then the god that you worship may be one you have created for yourself, one that does not exist. If we leave out a portion of God's character because we do not like it or we are not comfortable with it, we are not truly worshipping Him for who He is. Praise everything about the Lord your God. Everything about Him is balanced in His divine perfection.

The outline:

1. While God’s present wrath is largely passive, His future wrath is active.

2. God’s present wrath allows sin to increase; God’s future wrath will put an end to sin, causing it to cease.

3. God’s present wrath is often not recognized as such, and Christians must believe it by faith; His future wrath cannot be missed.

4. God’s present wrath is reversible; His future wrath is not.

I have the entire article if you are interested. It consists of about 8 pages of delving into the biblical basis for this outline in Romans 1:18-32. Just let me know if you would like a copy.

No comments: